Tuesday, October 10, 2006

My Top 10 Movies

Everyone is doing/or has done one of these, so why not me? I also figured that I would select seem which might cause blood pressures to rise (jff-I'm looking at you). So here are the criteria. (1) Movies must have been considered for Oscar nomination from 1987-2006. I started seeing movies at the theater about then, and it covers the last twenty years. It's a substantial block of time, but also one in which I feel it is really fair to compare individual films. All-time lists are mistaken, in my opinion, because styles of directing/acting/writing change. Other art forms seem to recognize this, so why not movies as well? (2) No documentaries, only dramatizations. I love doc.s, but don't really feel its fair to compare the two types. (Sorry Hoop Dreams.) (3) I have to have seen it in the movie theater. Seeing a film on the silver screen is vastly different than seeing it on a T.V. And because I think seeing it with a group of people in a darkened room is just as important sometimes as the movie itself, I'm going to limit the list this way. Why is this significant? I saw the following movies on tape for the first time: The Usual Suspects, Platoon, Born on the Fourth of July, Silence of the Lambs...oh, and Goodfellas.

2 comments:

candycanesammy said...

yeah, let's get into it! let's have an argument!

btw, i still remember when you told me you thought "dances with wolves" was "more important" than "goodfellas" and that costner deserved the oscar over scorsese.

guess you just get a boner about kevin costner, eh?

dan said...

I never realized my nascent Costner-boner until I saw Bull Durham. As an avowed fan of baseball and all its glory, I am embarassed to say that this viewing happened within the last 4 years. That is a hilarious baseball movie (perhaps not as significant as Field of Dreams for the reasons you mention, Sarge) and Costner is a driving force in the hilarity.

"You want me to call you a cocksucker?"
"Yeah."
"You want me to call you a cocksucker?"
"Yeah"
(hissing) "You're a cocksucker!"

damn what a movie.