Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Das Fed

On Monday, a client took a plea bargain at the last minute, relating to various drug and gun charges the U.S. Attorney's office had brought against him. My co-counsel and I are figuring that he's probably looking at between 25 and 30 years when he's sentenced. Now what might prompt a 30-year old man to take the all that time, rather than roll the dice at trial?

Well, early last week, the actual U.S. Attorney, i.e. the one appointed by the president, sent notice to my co-counsel that the government would be seeking a sentence enhancement in the case. If convicted, my client would be looking at a mandatory minimum of life. The reasoning offered was that the U.S. Attorney wanted to start sending a strong message to those who sold crack cocaine.

My client's black. I know a lot has been written about the race and class implications of the Federal Sentencing Guidelines when it comes to drugs, and I'm not even going to bother adding my redundant voice to that, except to say something even more worn. It's always difficult to actually witness an inequity about which one has spent considerable time studying and reading. So, as a way of therapy, I'm going to ask that anyone who has had a similar situation and feeling to the above, leave a comment. As my mom says, misery loves company.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

*sigh*

Here are some things the feds should be looking to send strong messages about:

1) child abuse

2) child abuse

3) child abuse

4) $@#&%!* child abuse

Oh wait. I forgot. Kids can't vote, can't pay taxes, can't fight in wars. Who cares about them.