Wednesday, August 01, 2007

I'm Giddy

I'm going to be a part owner in a professional sports team. Some of you might have received an email from me a little while back regarding a chance to purchase part of an English soccer team and already have an idea of what I'm talking about. For those of you who did not or simply deleted without reading, let me explain.

A group of guys in England got together and decided it would be really neat if they did something similar to what the Green Bay Packers did when they first formed up: have a team owned by Average Joe's. They figured they would need about 50,000 people paying around 75 dollars, U.S. in order to make a bid on a lower-level club. So, they started their own website trying to sign up the target number. It got out in the media and low and behold 53,000+ registered. So, yesterday, they began to take payments from everyone, and I was one of them.

But the really big news is that four teams have already approached the group about a possible takeover. This means that I'm essentially a hair's breadth away owning part of a football club. The excitement is killing me.

Now, I know it could turn out to be a mess. Everything is being put to a vote, from who the coach and players will be to the game-day strategy. Weekly fiascos probably will ensue. But I don't really give a shit.

The idea of owning part of something so real is just enthralling to me. The notion that I can say that the guys I'm wactching are literally "my team" sends my heart aflutter. Not to mention that this demonstrates my point of the great unifying nature of sports. People from all over the world have sent in their money already.

And it's not too late if anybody else wants to join. Check out http://www.myfootballclub.co.uk/
I salivate at the thought of co-owning a team with my friends. Seriously, it costs less than a 100 bucks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If by some miracle this turns out to not be the worst investment you've ever made, you will be impossible to live with.